Skip to content

Battery struggle to create in loss to Bethlehem

The Charleston Battery suffered defeat against Bethlehem Steel on Saturday night, losing 3-1 on their travels.

A goal late in the first half from Kacper Przybylko opened the scoring for the home side, before Fabinho would double their lead early on in the second half. Tah Brian Anunga would pull one back for the Black and Yellow, before Przybylko would find himself on the end of a good counter and restore his side’s two goal cushion.

The night didn’t start well for the Battery, as striker Ian Svantesson would have to be substituted early with an apparent ankle injury, as Arthur Bosua replaced him after 16 minutes.

Bosua would be on the end of a decent cross from the right on 34′, but couldn’t connect with the header properly as it went out for a throw in.

But with a minute to go before half time, the Battery would fail to clear a cross from the right, and the chance would fall to Pryzbylko in space, who took a touch and opened the scoring.

After a frantic beginning to the game, where there were many stops and starts, it was Bethlehem who broke the deadlock, and could’ve had a second in first half stoppage time.

A well placed cross from James Chambers from a free kick found Faris peeling off his man at the back post, but he put his header wide.

And that’s how the two sides went in at the break. The goal so late in the first half was tough for the Battery, but there was still all to play for in the second 45.

Even still, the hosts came out looking the better side, the goalscorer Przybylko put a shot high from close range.

Nico Rittemeyer would create the Battery’s first clear cut chance of the evening, as Arthur Bosua would play an excellently timed through ball to the winger, but the ball was bouncing all the time, and he couldn’t find a finish as the ball went wide.

And he was left to regret the missed opportunity, when Leland Archer was called for a foul in the box on 65′, and the referee gave a penalty. Fabinho would go toward the right bottom corner, and though Joe Kuzminsky would guess the right way, he was unable to make a save as Bethlehem extended their lead.

But then, just three minutes later, the Battery would have a free kick in a decent crossing position that was initially cleared, but would fall to the feet of Tah Brian Anunga, whose strike on the volley took a deflection and went into the back of the net for 2-1.

It was against the run of play, but the Battery were back in it.

However, as the visitors continued to push for the equalizer, a misplaced pass at the top of the box led to a quick Bethlehem counter, which fell to Przybylko, who was adjudged to have been in his own half as he went clean through, taking his time before slotting the ball into the net to restore his side’s two goal lead at 3-1.

The Battery kept pushing for a way back, when on 79′, good build up at the top of the box found Anunga again, but he put his shot wide.

Substitute Dante Marini had an effort from distance go wide of the far corner on 87′, before Romario Piggott created space for himself and drove into the box with a give and go on 89′, but he couldn’t get enough power behind the return pass as his shot went straight at the ‘keeper.

And that’s how it finished. The Battery struggled at times to get things going, It was a tough night for the Black and Yellow, who return home to face Nashville SC on Saturday, April 20. Kick off is at 7:30PM.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: