Skip to content

Battery Fall Flat in Louisville Reversal

Despite taking an early lead, the Charleston Battery were handed their second loss in as many games at home Saturday, as they fell to Louisville City by a score of 2-1.

Captain Taylor Mueller notched his 200th appearance in Black and Yellow on Saturday night, and his evening started well, after a seventh minute strike from Attaula Guerra put the home side in front, but Magnus Rassmusen would then equalize from the spot after half an hour, before George Davis IV would eventually give last year’s champions all three points with a goal late on.

The Battery would come out firing, with a header from Arthur Bosua as early as the second minute went wide after connecting with a Dante Marini cross from the right.

The game was delayed roughly 15 minutes due to lightning and storms in the area pre-match, and the pitch at MUSC Health Stadium was waterlogged in multiple areas, which caused slippage, and left puddles across the pitch.

However, the Battery would benefit from this for the opening goal, when, after seven minutes, a long ball forward from Jay Bolt would die as it landed in a puddle, while Attaula Guerra would find a way around his defender on a 1 on 1 and go clean through on goal, slotting home to put his side in front.

The early lead was warranted, but Guerra would have to come off shortly after due to an apparent groin problem to be replaced by Zeiko Lewis.

But everything would change on 29′, when a ball passed into the edge of the box would fall to a Louisville striker, and in an effort to stand him up, Leland Archer would be adjudged to have fouled the player, and a penalty would be given, which Magnus Rasmussen would convert to level the scoring.

It seemed a bit harsh on Archer, who seemed to be making a fair attempt to win the ball, and that the contact was at least embellished, but the referee seemed to see contact between the attacker’s legs as Archer tried to clear, and it was 1-1.

The Battery would get a free kick in a dangerous looking position on 34′, and Jarad van Schaik would pull rank, but his effort form roughly 20 yards was high and wide

And that was the way the half ended. It was a messy 45 minutes with all the wetness on the field, but the Battery showed enough to provide enough hope of a second goal.

However, it was Louisville that turned the screw. On 51′, a succession of corners would eventually lead to a ball sent in that looked capable of troubling Joe Kuzminsky in the Battery goal, but it went over the bar and out for a goal kick.

Much of the second half was spent in the Battery’s half, and they were remaining compact, allowing very little in terms of clear cut chances to Louisville’s attackers, save for set pieces, all of which were dealt with.

Though, with three minutes left to go, Kuzminsky would initially collect the ball from a cross before spilling on his way down, though he would mop up and look to play the ball out quickly. However, the Battery would lose possession high up the pitch, and in two passes, George Davis IV was clean through to slot home into the top of the net to put the visitors in front.

It was a punch to the gut for the Battery defense, as, save for two isolated mistakes, they defended well. But at times, football is a game of fine margins, and so it proved here.

And that’s how the game finished. The game went from a promising beginning to a frustrating 90 minutes, as the Battery dropped their second loss in as many games at home, after previously being unbeaten before their 5-0 loss to Tampa Bay at the end of July.

The Battery next visit Nashville SC on Saturday, August 24th. Kick off is scheduled for 8PM.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: